Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Frugal delight: The "How much do you think I paid for this?" Game

So, one way I gain delight through spending munny is by playing the "How much do you think I paid for this?" game. I play mostly with my husband, but in order to share the fun of this game, I thought I would post the rules here for everyone to enjoy.

Primary Objective: Make spender feel great about obtaining a bargain.
Secondary Objective: Impress conversation partner with excellent bargain-finding-ability.

Number of Players: Two or more. One spender (S) and at least one conversation partner (CP)

Rules of Play:
1) S asks, "How much do you think I paid for this?"
2) CP guesses a price, which must be at least the retail price of the item or higher.
3) S responds, "No - less!"
4) CP guesses again, reducing initial guess by an interval that should allow at least three guesses.
5) S responds, "No - less!" until CP guesses the correct price.
6) CP finishes the game with admiration for the bargain.

For example, I purchased a black Max Mara trouser suit a few years ago. Max Mara is a schnazzy Italian label, so the retail price of the suit was likely to be over $1000. The game went like this:
1) "So, how much do you think I paid for this suit?"
2) "Wow, that's a beautiful, simple suit, and it fits you great. Max Mara, hmm? I would guess you paid $1400."
3) "No - less!"
4) "$1300?"
5) "No - less!" (This would have gone on for many guesses with the interval for decreasing at $100, so I'll shorten the conversation here.)
6) "$75?"
7) "Yep, $75." (big smile)
8) "Goodness, that's an amazing deal. I can't believe you bought that suit for only $75. And it's new? Wow - very impressive."

Gaining admiration for a good deal is such a joy! I hope that some bargain hunters might forward this to friends and partners so that they can understand the game as well.

Please comment with any other games you play to show off your bargains.

1 comment:

J. Powers said...

Ah, the thrill of the hunt! And of fireside tales that grow with the telling.